Turns out...it was the beginning of pre-eclampsia...and my journey begins......
On Friday at 4, Logan and I loaded up the car with all of our bags just in case we had to stay because of my high blood pressure. I was called back and told him to wait in the waiting room since I just thought my blood pressure would be checked and then get to leave. The nurse took my blood pressure and weighed me. To my surprise and worry, it was 168/92! Yikes! I was told to wait for the dr. She came in and couldn't believe what was going on because I didn't fit into any category for the start of pre-eclampsia and said I was staying at the hospital and having a baby! I texted Logan from the room (he never got it) and called my mom to tell her to get on the road. Next thing I know, they are picking me up at the room in a wheelchair and wheeling me to admitting. Once we hit the waiting room, Logan looked up in surprise. I got to say those famous words every TV mom gets to say..."It's time." Logan said, "NOW?" And I just smiled. He didn't even look nervous!
Once we were admitted and made our millions of calls to let family know where we were and what's going on, they started pitocin at 5:15 p.m. We were thrilled. My mom had been induced with two of her three kids with pretty nice deliveries, so I thought that's how my story would go. Oh, how I was wrong...but I'll get to that.
The contractions started out like I thought they would, a little uncomfortable but not terrible. After breaking my water around 8:00 p.m., they started to get a little more intense and then all of the sudden WHAM...one on top of the other. I was having trouble breathing through them because there was practically no down time. During all of this, my in-laws had been visiting with us in the room...as soon as it got bad...they were great and decided to leave us alone. I immediately called for an epidural and got it at 10:10.
(Meanwhile my parents had actually gotten to catch the LAST plane out of Nashville to Dallas for the night...because it was running LATE. The flight crew had to re-open the door for them to make it in! God is good, and they arrived around 11 that night!!)
My dr came in around midnight to check me, and I was only at a 3 1/2 to 4 and slightly more effaced. I was disappointed to say the least. My family got to visit with me for awhile then went to the apt so we all could rest. Around 4:30 a.m., she checked me again. NO PROGRESS. She informed us that if my body hadn't changed at all by 6:30, we needed to start to think about a C-section. We were worried, but had EVERYONE praying that I would progress.
At 6:30 the doctor came in, and I was COMPLETELY effaced and dilated!!! Incredible! They had me push a couple of times to see how I'd do. They said I was doing pretty well, but I asked to labor down for awhile. Taking a friend of mine's advice, I didn't wanna wear myself out by pushing too early. At 7:15 a.m. my sweet nurse, Shelly, started the whole process with me. Can I tell you how HARD it is to know what you're doing when you've had an epidural and don't know what pushing should feel like?! I tried every position that the dr and nurse could think of. After 2 hours of pushing, the dr suggested forceps. Although I hated the idea, I was too tired to do it by myself any more. (Having the dr use forceps on my baby was something I honestly don't ever want to think about again.) I just closed my eyes and pushed with all my might....and NOTHING. Let me interject that Emmie's heartbeat never wavered during all of this. As soon as we realized my pelvis wasn't giving, they decided they wanted to get her out NOW by c-section. They literally rushed me out of the room to an OR and set everything up within minutes. I kept calling for them to get Logan, but they were taking their time. THEN at 9:53 a.m. he walked into the room, sat down, told me it was okay. At 9:54 a.m. he stood up to take a picture of them taking our sweet Emmie Faith out! She was here.
And then. I . SOBBED. I sobbed with relief, with loving her so much instantly having only seen the picture Logan showed me, and with happiness. She was crying immediately and turned pink so fast! Her Apgar scores were awesome, and she was perfect.
Logan looked at me with tear-filled eyes and kept saying that same thing over and over to me. "Cari, she's perfect!"
So even after 17 hours of labor, a failed forceps delivery, and c-section, I can honestly say I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I now know what I was meant to do. I was meant to be a mama to that sweet, beautiful little girl.
Thank you, God, that she is here and safe!



2 comments:
Wow, what a story that you can pass down to Emmie! Saw pictures on Facebook; she's a doll! We are so excited for you guys!
I guess it's some sort of right of passage that first births are slightly traumatic! I have good news though - the second one appears to be MUCH better! :)
Glad to hear you are doing well. She is just as sweet as can be!!
Post a Comment